Are you struggling to make sense of the troublesome JW modifier?
If so, you're not alone!
Since its January 1, 2017 effective date for appending JW modifier and billing of discarded drug waste, there has been significant amount of confusion. Maybe you and your staff are looking for answers to these frequently asked questions:
- Why are we not able to bill for waste for high cost multi-dose vials?
- We use the same drug in both inpatient and outpatient settings. Why do we not append the JW modifier on inpatient claims?
- Our pharmacy does not document services in the patient medical record. The nurses will document when they waste a drug at the bedside but how would we know if the pharmacy wastes drug from a single dose vial?
- Will Medicare consider the facility to be non-compliant if we choose to not append the JW modifier?
- What if the facility decides to not bill for waste, will the facility be risking non-compliance or any type of liability if only the amount of drug administered is billed?
The troublesome JW modifier has the potential to wreak havoc at your facility, impacting pharmacy revenue and posing a serious compliance issue.
But now, thanks to this interactive webcast, you and your team will learn which drug administrations will qualify for reporting of discarded drug waste. You'll also learn the requirements for identification of the single-dose vials or single-use packages. And you will also come away with suggested best practices based on the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) guidelines for JW modifier and the requirements for documentation, coding and billing.
Why This Webcast is Important
This webcast will improve your understanding of the guidelines for use of the JW modifier and billing of discarded drug waste. You will also learn how to protect your facility's revenue associated with high cost drugs and biological in the area of oncology, rheumatology, cardiology, wound care as well as other areas where drugs are prepared using single-dose or single-use vial or product.
From this interactive webcast, you will:
- Learn how to identify which drug administration qualify for billing of discarded drug waste.
- Know what documentation is required in order to bill for discarded drug waste.
- Learn what healthcare settings are appropriate to capture the cost for discarded drug waste.
- Understand the circumstances in which it would be inappropriate to bill for discarded drug waste.
- Learn the risk is associated with not billing for discarded drug waste.
This webcast is essential for anyone involved in managing the transition of documentation between pharmacy and the medical record, as well as anyone involved in review of documentation for appending of the JW modifier.